But at least I’ve finished the current round of formatting. Now it’s back to revising the rejection from Rise Films to resubmit somewhere else, writing “Mobsters, Mols and Murder” which has taken a back seat for longer than I remember, continuing to plan for the upcoming fundraising murder mystery game locally and redoing the website which keeps rising and falling in the page rankings despite my best efforts to get it up to page one.
Oh well… back to the nuts and bolts of my day to day work. Writing, revising, proofing, answering customer queries and formating games ready for sale on Red Herring Games. One day I’ll get back to the novels, but while I have at least one child at home all day, that’ll have to wait.
Luckily once I’m set up I can write a murder mystery game with a child in one ear. In fact, the writing bit comes naturally, especially for certain games. (The small group dinner parties are easier than the large group games – less work and less complicated plotting).
The proofing and suggested revisions are also something I do quite easily for the new authors to mystery games, but it’s enfuriatingly time consuming as it isn’t as easy to write murder mystery games as people think. A proof and comments can take anything up to 3 hours for one game, a huge chunk out of my productive day.
There is a feeling that game writing is easy amongst the uninitiated. Admittedly I might manage a small group game in 17 hours these days, but that’s me. I’ve been doing it for several years now. Speak to some of my new authors and they’ll tell you they sweat over games.
Many people ask me how I write games, and it’s not an easy process to explain. I’ll go into it one blog, when I’m timewasting instead of getting on with work… hmmm… I think I might be doing that now… Oh well, maybe I really should switch programs and get on with the formatting that I am trying to avoid!
Anyway, it was the script’s first read through last night (something I approached with a bit of nervous apprehension), but veryone was really positive about my work. (Phew!) I went with draft number 6 last night (whoever said writing was revising was correct), but now, at last – it’s the FINAL draft, and at long last it has a name! “With Jane in mind”.
I must admit. After the initial nervous, “yeah, I wrote it,” I really enjoyed myself. I was able to hear some sections read through, and watch them acted out in front of a camera. It was a great experience, and being there on the spot meant I was able to adjust the odd line here and there as we went to make it flow better. I’ve even been given a cameo role. Checkout assistant. I suppose I better learn my lines!!
Ok. Now I do remember this one as it was a bit of a double whammy last week. First the rejection from “Rise Summer Challenge” and then, within the space of two days an email from Red Planet Prize to say “sorry you are unsuccessful”.
Still, they did congratulate all the finalists (I was one) on the quality of the work, and also said that they would invite “some” of the finalists to a summer workshop. Now it’s just a case of keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that a) I’m one of the “some” and b) the workshops don’t fall in my holiday this year!
Unfortunately I am not immune to the rejection letters recieved by most aspiring authors. This time it’s an email from Rise Films. Looks like their “summer challenge” competition was too challenging for me. Hey ho. Life goes on. I still have room in the filing cabinet for a hundred more rejections and luckily still have a few irons in the fire.